The Big Battle of Door Materials04/09/2014 Back To Blog
When the aluminum overhead doors first appeared in the market, the demand for natural wood decreased dramatically. That was actually expected up to a point since the metallic garage doors were significantly cheaper and more resistant. As a result, today the metal is the dominant material for garage door construction but since the turn of the century it has come across significant rivals. Natural wood became fashionable again and contemporary architectural structures also included glass doors for the garage, kitchen or office.
Why wood is popular again
* The prices are more reasonable than before and today there is a great variety in colors, shapes, designs and styles. The elaboration and the quality of wood doors are magnificent and can resist more moisture and mold.
* They are beautiful and elegant. The transformation of wood through coloring and different styles can even make your home look extraordinary modern.
* Decades ago, the installation of wood in any form around the house would increase automatically its value as well. This is still valid today.
The pros and cons of glass doors
* Up until recently the weak point of a glass panel was its insulation efficiency, but lately it has improved significantly and, therefore, if you live in an area that suffers from extreme weather conditions, glass won’t create any problems.
* Today, most glass doors are made of safety glass and, therefore, if there is an accident the broken pieces won’t be flying away but remain in position, so that no one would be injured.
* The biggest advantage of a glass garage door, though, is the transformation of a dark room into a bright place with the help of natural light. Your garage will be a sunny room, where you can spend many hours without consuming energy or tiring your eyes.
* The biggest disadvantage of glass so far has been the lack of privacy. Its design and aesthetic results were great but no one wanted an audience outside their house watching their every move. Fortunately, this problem is out of the equation now with milk glass.